Friday, December 19, 2008

Tradition


When I was a little girl one of the highlights of the Christmas season was going to see the Nutcracker Ballet. My Grandma Mac would invite all the daughters and granddaughters to see a matinee performance done by Ballet West in Weber State's Austad Auditorium. It's one of many special memories I have of my grandma.
I was blessed with 5 great kids. All of them are girls except 4. (Did you catch that? Yes, I have only 1 girl.) Anyway, she is 6 and I wanted the two of us to have something special to look forward to at Christmas time. (Besides, my husband would rather have his teeth drilled than go to the ballet.) So this year my little girl and I started our own tradition of "Nutcracker Day" (she named it).


She was eagerly anticipating spending some "girl-time" with Mom. We had lunch together and headed for the Egyptian Theater in Ogden.


Here she is posing with our tickets by the gigantic Christmas tree at the theater.


She sat on my lap for the first half of the ballet and she kept whispering in my ear, "How do they DO that?" She was not only watching the dancers, but she was keeping an eye on the scenery, the curtains, the twinkling lights of the theater ceiling and also the sweet little (very well behaved) baby in the row in front of us. She loved the ballet and said this was "the best day ever!"


And of course, you can't go to Ogden with out stopping at Farr's Ice Cream. Even if it IS snowing!

No comments: