Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Eve

We spend Christmas Eve with my husbands side of the family. We love getting together at Grandma & Grandpa's house. There is always lots of food, fun and chaos!

Did I mention that there is always LOTS of food? Prime Rib, Ham, Shrimp, Rolls, Yams, Salads, and hey, Cheesy Potatoes anyone everyone?

One of the kids' favorite traditions takes place at Grandmas house on Christmas Eve....The Money Tree! Yes, I know, money doesn't grow on trees. But apparently at Grandmas house it does. My fabulous mother-in-law continues this tradition that her parents used to do when her kids were young. (It may go back even further, but I don't know.) Either way, the kids LOVE it. And I can't really blame them. Grandpa spends a few days rolling up $1, $2 & $5 bills in tissue paper with the ends of the tissue twisted like a piece of taffy. Then the bills are placed on a small tree (the same one that's been used for umpteen years).
According to age (youngest to oldest) the kids come up and draw from the tree. If they get a $1, they keep drawing til they get a $5. If they get a $5 right off the bat, they are done. This usually takes a while because there are enough $5's for each kid to have one, but there are also a bazillion $1's and $2's. Grandma & Grandpa aren't skimpy with the money tree!

Easiest money a kid ever made!

Grandma's know how to make teenagers smile!

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That money tree sounds awesome!

Can I come next year?

3 Bay B Chicks said...

No wonder your kids look forward to Christmas so much. The money tree is inspired! I have only heard of the "money dance" at weddings. This is way, way better. :)

Also, the feast that you family puts together looks like it is to die for. Would definitely need my stretchy pants to eat with you guys!

-Francesca

tiburon said...

Wowsa!! I need to get one of those money trees! That is AWESOME!