Friday, July 17, 2009

"Charmed, I'm sure."

Remember these charm necklaces? I do. They were all the rage back in the early 80's. You would buy the plastic chain and then buy the individual charms. I vividly remember the "baby bottle", "tennis racket" and "whistle" charms. At my elementary school the teacher finally had to ban the kids from wearing them because they became a disctraction during class.(photo courtesy of Flickr)

Now that we're all grown up, plastic just ain't gonna cut it. We had to find a way more expensive more suitable substitute.
There are so many cute charms available, but they can get pretty expensive.

How about you? Have you seen these charm necklaces around town? Is this a bandwagon you could jump on? Have you already jumped? What's your favorite place to find charms? Do tell....

13 comments:

Chelle said...

There was a lady at my last boutique that made them. They were way too expensive but I bet we could figure iut how to make our own.

Chelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelle said...

Wow!! my computer had a little fit! Well, maybe I had the fit. It wouldn't let me post my comment so I slammed my enter button a million times and just like that it started working again! Sorry about the 4 extra deleted comments!

mCat said...

Way cute, and if I could find just the right ones in the right price range, I would totally bite

tammy said...

I have jumped.

And Vanessa helped add to my collection when she came to visit. I know she got mine from a friend, and that they were less expensive than the ones I've bought before. I would ask her for the hook-up.

I love the rhinestone crowns I have, and the initials - especially the glittered ones, and a huge key.

In fact, I love them so much I may have to get a job just to support my habit.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I so remember the bracelets from the 80's!! Such good memories.

I have not seen the more 'updated' version. That is totally a bandwagon I could jump on!

Vanessa said...

I loved my 80's charm necklaces! I had one that had a bottle w/litte mini pills in it. Everyone was very envious.

Ditto to what Tammy said. Hopefully my hookup will get her website up soon so we can all partake whenever we want!

Sher said...

Wow! Talk about a major flashback! I used to love collecting the charms! I remember buying some pants or somethng that came with charms on it.

KJ got a little charm bracelet from her friend for her birthday last year, but she hasn't been too worried about adding to it, and I haven't brought it up.

tiburon said...

First - TOTALLY remember the plastic ones.

Second - LOVE the more expensive one...

I am just lame though - I wear the same necklace every day (at least for the past 12 years...)

Omgirl said...

I totally remember the plastic ones, only I remember them as bracelets? Or am I crazy? Maybe. I also had a pair that were earrings. HUGE earrings. Loved them.