Friday, March 5, 2010

Recap of the past 48hrs

It's been a rough couple of days around here.  They say that if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  Well, mama (that would be me) has been ANYTHING but happy lately. 
I have a health issue that requires that I undergo a certain medical procedure every year or so.  I'll spare you the gory details because frankly, I wash my children's mouths out with soap for saying "potty words" and any detailed description of the last 48 hours is sure to be full of them.

Long story short, I usually manage to make it through the prep and the procedure without too much of a problem.  Actually the prep phase is always the worst and the day of the procedure is mostly a blur.   But hey, since it's my 6th time around this particular block, why not spice things up a bit?
The prep was pretty much how it always is, lengthy and torturous, but I didn't throw it up so that's a win!  Also, I didn't have trouble during the scope since I was out like a light.  Once I was in the recovery room, I actually woke up from anesthesia a lot quicker than I usually do.  I thought I was doing pretty welll.
We came home and I slept for about 4 hours, then Kevin brought me a jamba juice so I took some sips and went back to sleep for an hour.  This time when I woke up, I got up and went into the bathroom and from there into the kitchen.  I set my drink and some pills on the counter  and then all of the sudden I was REALLY tired.  So I put my elbows on the counter and layed my forehead on the nice cool countertop.

--That was the last thing I remember.--

Suddenly Kevin was yelling my name and everything was black except for a little circle with his face in it.  He caught me before I hit the ground and took me to the couch where I proceeded to hallucinate.  I was convinced that: My mouth was huge and my teeth were falling out.  My skin was covered in fur...on the INside.  Also, there was a whooshing sound in my ears and I just kept saying "something's wrong" over and over again. Only, I don't know if I was saying it out loud.
Once he decided that a return trip to the hospital was not necessary, Kevin grounded me to the couch and babysat me for the rest of the day.
Today I feel alot better but my hands are shaky and my head is still a little fuzzy.

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but I'm thinking it was a reaction to the anesthetic (propofol & demerol) coupled with the fact that I was dehydrated from the prep.
All in all, it has been a pretty eventful couple a days.  Days that I don't want to repeat any time soon.  But I will have to. In 18 months (insert wailing, whining and gnashing of teeth).  Poor me.

The good news is, the Dr said everything looked good (I'm pretty sure that's a relative term considering where his camera was at) and there's no sign of anything cancerous.

For now...I'm just taking it easy.


9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, wow! That is scary, Veronica! Glad you are OK.

When I had my endoscopy, they gave me fentanyl and Versed. It was great. I was woozy for about 30 minutes after, and was then perfectly fine.

Vennesa said...

That, my dear, was the best post I've read all day. All week even.
Fur on the inside of your skin? Are you sure it wasn't LSD?
Though it sounds like I am mocking your pain, I'm not. I'm just entertained by you hallucinations.
Feel Better!

Sommer said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Nothing about that sounded fun! I'm sure you were kinda freaked out by your halluciantions!!! :) Glad you have a good hubby to take care of you! Hope you feel better soon!

Vanessa said...

Holy CRAP! How scary! I'm glad you didn't smash your head open when you passed out.

Feel better soon!

tammy said...

That is not a good feeling!

I'm scared to ever have that procedure done. Won't walking through the new airport scanners be enough to catch anything?

Omgirl said...

Fur on the inside is NOT GOOD. LOL. I'm glad you didn't have to go back to the hospital, but still, what a nightmare!

Franklin Times said...

Veronica~~
Holy Cow! That does not sound fun at all. Glad to hear your feeling better now~ take care and hope it goes much better next time around.

tiburon said...

How scary!! I loved propofol. I can't imagine having a bad reaction to it.

I am glad you are better :)

mCat said...

6 times!!! WTH?

Scary time with the whole hallucinating and glad you are better, but damn! 18 months?